Elsewhere online
February 02, 2015

Charities Rethinking Donor's Ties Amid Sex Scandal

Some past beneficiaries of Jeffrey Epstein's philanthropy say they would decline future gifts from the financier in the wake of allegations that he trafficked an underage girl for sex with Britain's Prince Andrew and other prominent figures, according to Reuters. The prince has strongly denied the accusation, leveled in a December 30 court filing related to Mr. Epstein's 2008 guilty plea on a procurement charge, for which he served a year in prison.

A cancer researcher at New York's Mount Sinai Hospital, a mentoring program for young Swedish businesswomen, and Ballet Palm Beach in Florida told Reuters they would refuse money from Mr. Epstein, but other recipients stood by the donor, who declined the news agency's interview requests. The article delves into Mr. Epstein's giving history, including a $30-million pledge to Harvard University in 2003 and two incidents last year in which he touted donations to Massachusetts Institute of Technology projects a school spokeswoman said were not made.