Elsewhere online
May 03, 2016

Chicago Group Suspends Lawsuit Seeking to Block Lucas Museum

The preservation group suing to block Star Wars creator George Lucas's planned museum on Chicago’s lakefront said Tuesday it would halt its court fight, according the Chicago Tribune. Friends of the Parks, said it was ending the litigation to give "all parties the opportunity to have a more direct and productive dialogue to reach a potential solution about a museum site."

THe move came a day after the city and its parks district requested a 30-day stay on court proceedings in the case, which centered on an original proposal that would place the museum on a vacant lot just south of Soldier Field on the Lake Michigan waterfront, the Tribune previously reported. Friends of the Parks had agreed to the delay, which the city sought to continue examination of a new site proposal.

The new plan calls for the museum housing Mr. Lucas's collection of artwork and movie memorabiliait to go up at the site of the lakefrontn convention center, which would be demolished. Museum supporters say the proposal should be more amenable to preservationists because it involves a site that is already developed. Mr. Lucas has pledged to put up $743 million for the museum.