A suburban Chicago gun store has called off plans to raise money for victims of last month’s mass shooting in Orlando, Fla., by holding a prize drawing for a semi-automatic weapon similar to that used in the massacre, reports the Chicago Tribune. The owners of Second Amendment Sports said they canceled the contest amid questions over whether it is allowed under Illinois state law, which permits only nonprofit organizations to run raffles.
Friends of some of the 49 people killed in the June 12 attack at the Pulse nightclub had called on the OneOrlando Fund, the raffle’s intended beneficiary, to reject any proceeds from the prize drawing for an AR-15 rifle. Bert Irslinger Jr., who co-owns the McHenry, Ill., gun shop, said the business might partner with a nonprofit on a future contest and in the meantime will continue taking donations for Orlando victims.
Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer, whose office established the OneOrlando Fund, said lawyer Kenneth Feinberg will oversee the distribution of donations to victims’ families and survivors, the Associated Press writes. Mr. Feinberg has become a leading national expert on allocating compensation in the wake of tragedies, having served a similar role following the 9/11 attacks, the Boston Marathon bombings, and several mass shootings.