Elsewhere online
March 31, 2015

Mass. Woman Pleads Not Guilty to One Fund Fraud Charges

A woman who was one of the most vocal critics of the primary charity disbursing donated money to victims of the Boston Marathon bombing denied in court Monday that she fraudulently collected tens of thousands of dollars from the One Fund Boston and other sources, The Boston Globe reports.

Joanna Leigh, 41, of Boston pleaded not guilty to larceny and other charges in connection with her claim to have suffered a traumatic brain injury in the April 2013 attack. She received $8,000 from the One Fund, which has paid out some $80 million to injured survivors and the families of those killed by the bombs; about $12,000 in cash and services from other private donors; and $18,000 from a state compensation fund, and according to court records.

Ms. Leigh was among critics who said the One Fund's method for calculating payments shortchanged those with brain injuries. In an interview with the Globe last week, she said she was being targeted by authorities for her outspokenness. Prosecutors say investigators who reviewed video surveillance, witness testimony, and medical and financial records determined that Ms. Leigh attended the race but was not injured.