Executive Director, Development & Alumni RelationsGeorge Washington University
The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Development & Alumni Relations department is seeking an Executive Director of Development & Alumni Relations.
This position will report directly to the Associate Vice President and Associate Dean, Medical Center Development and Alumni Relations, and will work with the Executive Director, Clinical Care & Research to grow philanthropy supporting medical education, patient care, and research at GW.
This position develops and executes multi-year development and campaign plan to raise major and principal gifts for SMHS. Manages teams in major gifts, alumni relations, and stewardship supporting SMHS. Represents SMHS Development in University-wide Development meetings, task forces, planning functions, at request of AVP. Coordinates with colleagues, Alumni Relations, Corporation/Foundation Relations and Planning Giving to ensure appropriate Central support for SMHS development and SMHS Major Gifts Team.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supervises growing team of at least eight development professionals to include gift officers, as well as alumni relations and stewardship staff supporting SMHS. Responsible for setting individual performance objectives; monitoring performance against goals using GW’s prospect management system; conducting annual performance reviews; recruiting and training new major gifts and support staff as necessary. Managers budget for team.
- Manages portfolio of major and principal gift prospects for SMHS. In concert with Dean, department chairs and faculty, identifies, cultivates and solicits gifts from individual, foundations, corporations, and other private funding sources in support of SMHS priorities.
- Advises Dean and AVP on development communications and alumni relations strategies for SMHS. Assists in setting vision for philanthropic support of SMHS
- Coordinates with Executive Director, Clinical Care and Research, in developing gift opportunities and priorities to appeal to patients of the GW Hospital and the Medical Faculty Associates
- Establishes annual development plans for SMHS and monitors performance against goals and objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 10 years of relevant professional experience. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.