Senior Major Gifts OfficerMusic & Memory
REOPENED SEARCH: POSITION IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE
Formed in 2010, Music & Memory is a groundbreaking organization that has sustained exponential growth. It seeks a motivated Senior Major Gifts Officer to capitalize on its individual giving base. M&M needs an experienced self-starter with the demonstrated ability to build a comprehensive individual donor program with an emphasis on the major gifts levels. This newly formed position is an opportunity for an energetic and dedicated development professional to have a lasting impact on an innovative organization. He or she will report to the Director of Development and will join a strong team of professionals that currently execute government and foundation funding initiatives, grant writing, and special campaigns.
M&M is looking for an individual who is passionate about the challenge of fundraising, and is inspired by the opportunity to help take this growing institution to the next level. It would be preferable for the Senior Major Gifts Officer to have an appreciation for aging related issues and the power of music to transform lives.
Showcased in 2014 in the Sundance Award winning documentary, Alive Inside, Music & Memory is changing the lives of elders through the power of music. Located in the heart of Chelsea in NYC, Music & Memory (M&M) is a rapidly growing international non-profit organization that brings joyful, life-affirming and soothing personalized playlists into the lives of the elderly or infirm, vastly improving their daily lives. M&M trains nursing home staff and other elder care professionals, as well as family caregivers, how to create personalized playlists using iPods and related digital systems to enable those struggling with Alzheimer’s, dementia and other cognitive and physical challenges to become more connected and content. Based in scientific research, this accessible, person-centered approach has been life-changing for many who were thought to be unreachable and lost to disease. Music, a powerful universal medium, is leveraged to create opportunities to change relationships between elders and caregivers, youth in their communities, and family members.
Key Areas of Responsibilities
- Be a team builder, able to work with colleagues to create and implement a structured plan for comprehensive individual giving program, creating overall strategy and timeline that integrates existing giving programs, direct mail and holiday campaigns, with new major donor program.
- Prepare strategies utilizing multiple touch points including personal meetings, email, telephone, targeted mailings, invitations to M&M events, and/or to donor cultivation events and other stewardship activities.
- Identify key moves with Director of Development to manage existing major donors, re-engage lapsed donors, and initiate new relationships with prospects and influencers. Build appropriate strategies for increasing giving where possible and create the tools needed to initiate and cultivate these relationships.
- Collaborate with leadership to engage current and prospective supporters in meaningful ways that engender engagement and philanthropy. Initiate and participate in donor meetings and, as appropriate, include the Executive Director, Board of Directors, Development team members, or program staff.
- Work closely with the Director of Development to prepare departmental budget inclusive of all resources necessary to fulfill responsibilities and determine annual projections of the major donors in his/her portfolio.
- Collaborate with M&M fundraising officers on areas of overlap such as family foundations, charitable trusts and donor advised funds, events, and other areas of cultivation and solicitation as appropriate.
- Schedule and coordinate selected major donor events including receptions, house parties, in-house presentations, and film screenings.
- Carefully plan and execute stewardship opportunities throughout the year.
- 5-7 years' development experience in the individual giving sector, particularly the area of major gifts.
- Demonstrated ability and bona fide experience in asking, negotiating, and closing major gifts.
- Experience in all aspects of donor cultivation (research, writing, follow-up, and stewardship).
- Excellent communication skills, including strong interpersonal and presentation skills, as well as oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex and sensitive material, and to present appropriate, well-informed messages to donors. Attention to detail essential.